Pathways to a Healthy Mind
Parent Workshop with Dr Tom Nehmy
For: parents of ELC and primary school aged children
Wednesday 15 June – WPS Gym
6pm – Doors open, Drinks & Nibbles for Parents & Carers
7pm – 90 minute presentation by Dr Tom Nehmy – Healthy Minds
Free & Open to all members of our community: parents, carers, staff, friends, neighbors, guests. So that we can ensure we have adequate seating please RSVP to this event by clicking this link and click that you are GOING.
Based on years of research and clinical experience with children, adolescents and adults, the workshop will cover the following key concepts:
What resilience is, and how parents and teachers can help children to cultivate it
• The “great mistake” parents make that causes problems, and what to do about it
• The thinking skills that psychologists teach people to be emotionally healthy
• The purpose and function of emotions and how they affect behaviour
• How to deal with unhelpful emotional impulses
• How perfectionism can impede our achievement, and what to do about it
• The keys to preventing depression, anxiety, and eating disorders in young people
• Self-compassion – a powerful practice that is vastly more important than self-esteem
Parents will leave with a broad overview of the key ingredients to mental health and resilience in children, as well practical ideas for how to put these concepts into practice.
Clinical psychologist and corporate
trainer with over 10 years’ experience… Dr Tom Nehmy’s passion is preventing psychological problems in people of all ages while also enhancing resilience and wellbeing.
note: parents are welcome to bring children if they need to, in order to attend. however please note: this is a 90 minute presentation so young children who can’t sit still for long or entertain themselves quietly may struggle! we will be in the gym so there will be a corner where kids can QUIETLY sit with a book or device if necessary. we will ask that kids are not running around or playing out of respect for our presenter and our audience.